Tuesday, January 15, 2008

This TV Thing is Getting Old

I am not a nutty TV viewer or anything, but this is ridiculous. I've no idea what to watch.

I've got to confess...I tried The Office. I was a little bit lost. Maybe I need more background. OR maybe I'm just not funny.

I've been surviving on reruns of Monk and Gilmore Girls.


However, last night I watched Tales from the Underbelly and laughed more than once. It followed Dance Wars, which was also surprisingly enjoyable. The King even graced us with his presence and watched. With his Crackberry.


But, here's my newest TV dilemma: To watch American Idol or not.

I think I am going to succumb to peer pressure and do whatever y'all do. (Didn't I just post yesterday about not doing what everyone else tells me to do?)

I love American Idol when it gets down to the 12 finalists.

I detest it during the Ridiculous Ploy to Get On TV portion.

If these poor people really think they can sing, then I feel sorry for them and can't bear to watch.

If they know they can't sing (and please tell me that they do) then I don't want to endorse their 15 minutes of pathetic fame.


I'm not sure that I can begin watching when it narrows to 12, though. I'll feel like I've been left out and there will be inside jokes that I don't get. If I'm gonna watch I've got to start from the top and stick it out.


The beginning is just so painful.


I really hate the dorks that try to get into a fracas with Simon. Like him or not, he is usually right.


Ryan has definitely gotten way too cool for his own good.

Randy is ok. I'm pretty much indifferent to Randy.

And Paula...didn't she just have a breakdown or something? Is she gonna be there?

It is one of those shows that is all consuming. Everyone talks about it and I hate to be one of the ones that is talking about it, but sometimes people are just not right about the best singer and someone has to tell them...

And it takes up 2 nights a week. Tivo is torn between recording Idol for me or The Unit for The King. Tivo chooses me and then there's a rift between them. (Perhaps if The King could learn to run the Tivo then it would pick him. Perhaps.)

And then there is the time spent hitting the stinkin' redial button to get my stupid vote included...

And then Melinda Doolittle gets voted off and the whole season is ruined.

So. I'm just not sure if I'm ready to make such a big commitment.

What are y'all gonna do? We've got to decide quick--there is a TWO DAY FOUR HOUR PREMIER starting tonight.

13 comments:

Queen Mother said...

No choice...gotta watch.

Amy said...

I say...gotta watch, or you'll be kicking yourself later. Our house will have the DVR set so I can fast through the "I just want 15 minutes of fame and so I'm going to make a scene" people later! Good luck!

Jeni said...

No American Idol for me. I keep the shows I watch regularly to a minimum - Survivor and Lost. That simplifies my life tremendously!

The Fritz Facts said...

I don't watch it, not since Carrie Underwood won. I just don't get the point of it most of the time, and it take so long!

momof2 said...

You just gotta lay down your reservations and surrender to the entertainment value!

Sister Honey Bunch/Judi maloney said...

Paula is a complete Fruit Loop and that is exactly why you have to watch tonight.

Laura said...

I'm so not an American Idol fan. Too slow for me. My vote is don't waste your time!

I've watched Notes from the Underbelly since it began and really like it too!

I can't find my blog said...

I'm with the Queen Mother-must watch! Even though the early weeks are excruciating, it gives me the full picture when we get to the voting. To combat the cr** of the early weeks I usually try to do things like laundry, dishes, etc, so I don't feel like my time has been completely wasted. I'm sure there will be Idol posts in my future!

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

There's just no getting around it. You've got to watch. Just multi-task during the first few weeks of "Calling All Losers". By the time the real competition starts, you'll be ready to devote your full TV watching attention.

Kelly @ Love Well said...

I'm no help, since I don't watch TV. ("Dora" and "Curious George" excepted.) It cuts into my blogging time too much. And I have to say -- I like my life much better without the gravitational pull of those TV shows I just can't miss.

However, I know "AI" is a pleasure for many. So go for it. Just be prepared to wince.

pinkmommy said...

You gotta watch it. You can't miss out!!

Angela S said...

I have a friend that watches it. I've watched five minutes four years ago while I was in labor with my son. It didn't appeal to me. Sure I've seen seen that painful part but number one I have too many shows, number two its the same thing OVER and OVER again. Plus our husbands put up with soooooo much so we should help them have a show or two. You should really head over to hula or even better openhula.com and you can watch tons of nbc, usa, and fox shows. Plus abc.com, if you're not watching pushing daisies, you're really missing out. And private practice nad brothers and sisters, and how I met your mother, that one is on cbs. Good luck.

Pattik said...

All over it. Watched it.