Thursday, November 1, 2007

Just Can't Get Enough

I was thinking that perhaps today, the day after Halloween, would be a good time to reflect on my love of chocolate.

Let me begin by noting that I absolutely understand that there are varying degrees of quality. For today's purposes we are focusing on the cheap stuff. Your basic candy bar.

There has never been any one candy for which I exclude all others. Junior High centered on Reese's Cups. The High School years seemed to concentrate on Twix. College...I was all over the place: Whatchamacalit, $1,000,000 bar (or was it $100,000?)...I even remember a brief, but very intense relationship with the Bar None (has it become extinct?).

My adult life has been pandemonium. I spent a few years with the Butterfinger. Butterfinger's been hard to leave...especially around Easter...those eggs. I have had phases of such comfort with Mr. Reliable, Snickers. Snickers really satisfies me. The past few years have brought a new found appreciation for the Kit Kat. There is some kind of little something extra in that chocolate. Just a hint of butterscotch, maybe? I'm pretty consistent with Baby Ruth. Baby Ruth has gotten such a bad rap after that whole "floating" incident. I can get past that. My latest addiction is the dark chocolate peanut M&M. Oh My Word. Isn't that good for my heart or something?

I would be remiss to not discuss those bars for which I turn my nose. Almond Joy. I'm sorry. It's the texture. Mounds. It's the name. Zero--does that even count? Is it chocolate? My dad used to force feed those bad boys to me. Carmello. Way too messy.

I feel I must also discuss the recent trend of combining things. Seriously, does a Reese's Cup in all its peanutty chocolate glory need caramel? I think not. What was up with that maddening combination a few years ago...it was like the everything bar. Oh, oh, I know...the MMazing Bar or something cool like that. Whatever.

I think I'll go pilfer through The Princess's stash.

7 comments:

Amy said...

I would also have to add the ever faithful Milky Way and what about the 3 Musketeers? These often make my heart melt (and my hips wider!)

Queen Mother said...

Don't forget peppermint bark. It isn't a candy bar but the creamy, melting chocolate with the hint of mint is the best!!

Joanne : The Simple Wife said...

Okay, just gotta make a case for the Lion Bar--my sister's all-time fave from when we lived in Europe. Can't find it at a 7-11 here, but you can find it at Cost Plus. Go check it out--it's delish!

Rocks In My Dryer said...

I can't believe it took you three paragraphs to even MENTION Bar None. Wouldn't we, like, eat 3 or 4 of those at a time? Ah, to have that metabolism again...

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I am so jealous of people who take my thoughts and can put them into words that make me laugh!!! :-D

Anonymous said...

There is a new-ish bar here in Canuckland, called Max5.
It has pretzels in it, and you wouldn't think it would be good, but you would be oh, so wrong!

Jeni said...

One combo I found randomly at a Walgreens a few months ago was raspberry dark chocolate M&Ms. I'm not a fan of raspberry and chocolate together, but these were GOOD!