Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Emergency Maneuver

It has really been bothering me. The pain has grown in its intensity each day for about 2 weeks. I have tried to tell myself that it can't be as serious as it seems.

However, yesterday I came to the realization that I cannot take it anymore. I called and scheduled an emergency procedure. So today, at 2:45 I have an appointment.

I know it is going to hurt a little. I expect that.

I thought it best to wait until The King was out of town so that I could have a little time to adjust to the change and he could have a little time to prepare himself. But I'm ready.

Today...I am chopping off my hair.

You must know that I have never had long hair. Its current length is between my ears and my chin. But it is driving me nuts.

I look like I have ear muffs. Big furry earmuffs.

So, the back...I'm chopping it off. I want to leave a little length on the sides--enough to tuck behind my ears. And fool myself into thinking it is long-ish. But the back?

Chopping it off.

I had such high hopes. Really, I did. I thought maybe this was the year I could grow my hair.

Nope. It's not.

I cannot have long hair. There. I admit it. I will never have long, beautiful, flowing hair.

There is something worse than not having long, beautiful, flowing hair.

Having ugly hair.

I cannot have ugly hair. That looks like earmuffs.

So, I am chopping it off.

I am a little disappointed that I could not accomplish what generations of women have done with ease.

But ugly trumps disappointed.

And so I go.

There is a small possibility that I am making an emotional decision based on high humidity in our area.

But I think I'd rather err on the side of not having earmuffs.


5 comments:

Karen said...

I have long hair but I live in fear of someone (my daughter) telling me I am too old to have long hair and it's time to get the "older woman" haircut. I'm not sure what that looks like but I'm pretty sure I don't want it.

Queen Mother said...

WHOO HOOO! You rock in short hair! I am thrilled!!! Yeah short hair!

Pam said...

As a short-haired girl myself, I can totally sympathize with the earmuff thing. I've decided my hair is never ever going to grow long enough for a ponytail again in this lifetime.

Leaving the scrunchies to my daughters and their friends. Short hair is the life for me!

Lisa said...

I'm betting your new short hair is going to look pretty sassy once you get rid of those earmuffs!

Let us know how you like it.

Upward Falling Autumn said...

I'm so ready to choppity chop mine too. I have an appt Weds....eeks!

But then I deliberately cut bangs out because I knew they'd look stupid with a short haircut... therefore, preventing the cut.

Such tact I have... I have to work that hard to fool myself.